How the School Originated
In 1852 the German-speaking Catholic community of Bloomington first organized their small community into what would become a Mission in 1867 and eventually, St. Mary’s Parish. Construction of our present church began in 1885. St. Mary’s School first originated in 1867. Classes met in the basement of the original church structure.
In 1954 the present building was constructed to house grades One through Eight. Pre-School and Kindergarten classes were added in 1979. Eight new classrooms and upgrades to the 1954 building were completed during the 2001-02 school year.
St. Mary’s Educators
Over the years three religious orders have taught at our school: The Franciscan Sisters of Oldenburg stayed for nearly a century; during the 1980’s one St. Joseph Sister from Seattle taught here; and most recently the Sisters of St. Mary Immaculate of Joliet provided instruction. Since 1992 the entire faculty has been lay teachers.